- Water resources / power system simulation and optimisation
- The social impacts of dams
- Political science and governance
- Climate, ecology and hydrological science
- Economic analyses of dams, including food, agriculutre and livelihoods
- Financing dams
To register for a webinar, click the register button by each title.
Presentations will usually follow a standard academic 30-minute format + 15 minutes for questions and moderated discussion. The webinars will take place every two weeks on Zoom and recordings of the webinars will be made available afterwards.
Complete the sign-up form to receive information about upcoming presentations and news from FutureDAMS. If you would like to present a FutureDAMS webinar, please contact Rose Sumner.
Sign up to our e-news for updates:
We’re pleased to announce the first in our second programme of webinars, which will run bi-weekly, Tuesdays 3-4pm (BST) beginning on 22nd September. Further details of upcoming webinars will be published soon.
Financing national scale energy projects in developing countries – An economy-wide evaluation of Ghana’s Bui Dam
Alvaro Calzadilla, University College London
Tuesday 22nd September 2020. 15:00-16:00. REGISTER
By considering the case of the Bui Dam in Ghana, we use a macroeconomic approach to determine how the economic performance of critical energy infrastructure manifests during the construction, financing and operation phases. The analysis uses an integrated modeling framework that combines a Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) model of Ghana with a water balance model of the Lower Volta River Basin. More…
20th October – Hayley Fowler (Professor of Climate Change Impacts)
3rd November – Julien Harou (Chair in Water Engineering)
17th November – Lila Buckley & Professor Wang Hua – Hydropower in LDCs with Chinese characteristcs
- Meeting Africa’s Latest Dam Builders: The Indian ExIm Bank, ‘Entrepreneurial’ Companies and the Outcomes of South-South Cooperation
Barnaby Dye, University of Manchester. 14/07/2020.
- Alternative models of irrigation development in Ghana
Roshan Adhikari, University of Manchester. 30/06/2020.
- The ex-ante economic analysis of investments in large dams: a brief history
Dale Whittington, University of Manchester/University of North Carolina and Kerry Smith, Arizona State University. 16/06/2020.
- Climate finance for hydropower: enabling the transition to a low-carbon future
Sejal Patel and Neha Rai, IIED. 02/06/2020.
- Hydropower finance: complexity, risk and private sector investment
Judith Plummer Braeckmann and Sanna Markkanen, Cambridge Centre for Sustainability Leadership. 12/05/2020.
- Resettlement of Gumuz communities around Ethiopia’s Blue Nile dam
Dr Sarah Vaughan, Honorary Fellow of Edinburgh University, UK, and Principal at thepolicypractice.com. 21/04/2020.